Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Farmers Branch, Texas recently made it a little more difficult for illegal residents of the United States to live there. As a person who has jumped through the hoops to live in another country, Taiwan, I say Way-to-Go!! Farmers Branch.

Although I do not plan to work, as the trailing, female spouse, I had to get a certified copy of my marriage certificate, which I wrote about in an earlier blog, and subject myself to a humiliating medical examination that you will not read about. Now that Mark has his ARC (alien resident certificate), he can apply for mine. I cannot apply for myself. We will be applying for it next week. The delay is due to Mark needing a Visa for China PRC and his passport is needed for both processes. Of course, I could just enter and leave Taiwan every 60 days since I have a Visa for that. But that would make me illegal if I stay for 61 days. Call me silly, but I am not interested in breaking the laws of Taiwan. I am not interested in breaking the laws of any country, even the laws I believe are silly.

So I went through the medical exam (not required for male trailing spouses) and I am filing all the proper paper work, just as I did before we came. I have also, just today, 28 days after arriving, enrolled in my first Mandarin class. I want to be able to speak to the people who are so graciously hosting me in the language of their country even though I know that I am linguistically challenged.

Many Taiwanese have learned to speak my language and often help me when I am confused. It only seems fair that in exchange I not break their laws and learn to speak enough to get around by myself.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 3:28 PM, Blogger A Wiseman's Wife... said...

ohh, i bet you will do well in your mandarin classes. they do say submerssion is the best way to learn a language!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home