Thursday, February 15, 2007

Chinese New Year is a REALLY big event. It has been like going through all the build-up for Christmas all over again. The stores are decorated and the crowds are huge. I thought Costco was always busy but when I went this week, I found out what busy was really all about. I waited in line just to get up to the meat counter. The meat counter here is just as big as any Costco store in the US.

Sunday was (I think) the day that the Kitchen god leaves his place behind your stove and reports to your ancestors in heaven. I am glad that I don't believe in kitchen gods. What pressure that would be. Would I then always have to be happy while I cook? And what about all the times I use convenience foods and just jazz them up a little bit. Would I get reported to the ancestors for being lazy?

The actual New Year celebration doesn't actually begin until this weekend, but just like in America, the holiday parties have been in full swing over the past week or so. Mark's company held their party in a banquet hall. There were 5 or 6 other parties going on at the same time as ours, in different rooms. It was all about the food and drink, congratulations for a job well done over the past year and wishes for a prosperous next year.

The end of the New Year celebrations doesn't actually happen until the end of the month. There is a Lantern Festival marking the end. So enjoy the next 10 days and happy year of the Pig.

2 Comments:

At 12:37 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

happy year of the pig to you as well! i love you very much!

 
At 2:23 PM, Blogger paul m. said...

Perhaps I now finally have a reason why there's so much behind our stove to begin with ... our kitchen god must be very messy.

Thanks for the reports on goings-on where you are. It seems like the news that I watch is making a bigger deal than before of the Chinese new year.

Y'all are in my prayers. Peace!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home