Tuesday, August 28, 2007

My family teases me because I try to be a prepared traveler. But try as I might, I can never prepare just the right combination of things to carry to be a prepared traveler. Sometimes, I carry too much, but leave the crucial item behind. Sometimes I bring everything I need and half a pharmacy besides. Sometimes I just don't have any idea about what to bring along. But in Asia there are certain supplies that one should have available just in case.

1. Mosquito repellent - Generally this is the one item I forget since American mosquitoes don't usually bother me. Well folks, this is Asia and they like fat American blood.

2. Tissues - in a clean plastic wrapper. These come in handy for their intended purpose and never seem to be available, in any form, in public restrooms especially. Tissues are also versatile. You can use them to wipe-up, to dry your hands, to stop bleeding, to wipe less than pristine tables or eating utensils. You can even make a paper flower if that need ever arises.

3. Baby wipes - when I was teaching, I realized that baby wipes are great for so many things beyond the intended purpose. You can remove make-up, paint, grease, tar, mud, sweat, and blood. You can sanitize your hands, a cut or scrape, eating utensils and table in less than pristine condition. Best of all, most baby wipes have to be safe for a baby to chew on so no need to rinse. (I'd think twice about buying some made in Mainland China though.)

4. Bottled water - about twice as much as you think you will drink. You will drink it. Mark has observed that Asians so not drink water with their meals, generally substituting soup or other boiled, hot liquid instead. There is, I'm sure, a good reason and I am willing to not test that hypothesis.

That is my list, pared down to the most important things. I know that I should add sunscreen and a first-aid kit, but with the exception of my daughter breaking her elbow, no one has gotten seriously hurt when I've been travelling. A first-aid kit would have been useless. Heck she didn't even go to the doctor for two weeks. What can I say about sunscreen - well folks, the sun doesn't shine during the rainy season; you'll wear long pants and shirts in the cool season; and you'll sweat the stuff off almost immediately the rest of the year.

3 Comments:

At 8:48 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I think that those are good necessities... I sure got use of all of them while I was traveling with you. And yes, the first aid kit would have been useless.

Unless it had insanely strong pain killers in it, or vodka. Vodka might have helped the pain... however, going back down all those stairs after drinking vodka could have resulted in further injury and need for the first aid kit.

That being said, the first aid kit would have been useless.

 
At 7:50 PM, Blogger Warren's World said...

LOVED this post.

 
At 7:50 PM, Blogger Warren's World said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home