Tuesday, March 13, 2007


Some Things Just Don't Translate Very Well.


This sign is for a food and gift shop in Danshui, in a lovely tourist district. I am not sure that I would ever buy anything in a Turd Baby Shop even though it looked cute and fairly clean. As we learn more Chinese language (so far only spoken and Pinyin), it is already apparent that this is a language for poets and storytellers. It is hard for the Westerner to understand and speak because it is spoken almost in a chant. Ma for example can take 5 different sounds or tones, each meaning something different. Items in the modern world just don't quite fit nicely into the melody sometimes. We have eaten in a restaurant called "Very Good Seafood". I avoid the restaurant with a picture on a buzzard on the sign. I am afraid that the name is roadkill restaurant but I confess that I don't know. It just doesn't sound good somehow.

See you Thursday in Chinese literally translated means "day 5 see you." I am happy though that the literal translation of Sunday is Sunday. Somehow makes it a special day.

I have also noticed that wearing clothes with slogans written in another language is a bad idea. Last Saturday I saw a grandmother walking her grandchildren to the park by our house. Her shirt said "too much sex can leave your vision blurry." I am pretty sure that she would have been horrified if someone had given her the literal translation of that shirt. But the shirt looked nice and was probably cheap. I doubt though if Grandmother would really want to project that image.

3 Comments:

At 10:39 AM, Blogger A Wiseman's Wife... said...

hahahaha.... great post

 
At 8:30 PM, Blogger jaelin said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 8:30 PM, Blogger jaelin said...

Hi Mr. and Mrs. Rice,

I just discovered your blog and am really enjoying your entries. If want a good laugh, you should visit engrish.com My dad said he had lunch with you two last time he was in Taiwan (a few weeks ago?) and it seems like you guys are doing well.

And I'm pretty sure you two have your Mandarin down (much) better than I do. My family and I are wishing you the best. =)

-Jessica

 

Post a Comment

<< Home