Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Sometimes, I am reminded that being an American makes life really easy. Today it was during my Bible Study. We have been studying Max Lucado's book, He Choose the Nails. Actually I studied this book before so I thought it would be easy, but it was so different. Today, each woman took a chapter and explained its relationship to her life. I listened to some of the most amazing faith journeys. I could scarcely imagine. Two Taiwanese women were the only Christians in their families. One woman from Africa had lived through the deaths of three of her children, all the while praising God. One women suffered the loss of her father and the descent of madness of her mother while only a child, converted to Buddhism and converted back to Christianity while on her knees in a marathon prayer session that I could scarcely imagine. She was European, actually from a country that considers itself very Christian, only no one goes to church.
I have always been a Christian. Sometimes my faith is strong and sometimes not, but it has never left me. I have always lived in a place where being a Christian is a normal and generally accepted good thing. Even when my life has been dicey, that constant has remained. I wonder what it would be life to survive as a Christian in a hostile environment. These women look so ordinary but their strength is extraordinary.
Just one more reason why I am so glad to be an American, because I want to be Christian, freely, without reserve.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home